Re-writing a re-write is not that easy
Teresa M Shafer - For books that kindle thought and ignite the imagination!
My Blog

Re-writing a re-write is not that easy

What makes for an amazing epic adventure story like Fire and Ice or Lord of the Rings? The easy answers are, plot, great characters and action. But how do you get those all into one book or a series of books? It's not as easy as it sounds. An author can have the story in their mind and it can be as epic or better than anything Tolkien put to paper, but if they cant get it onto paper it is nothing.

I heard a quote recently and I can't actually quote it but it went like something like this, 'all of the beauty and imagination that the world has lost for lack of courage.' It refers to an artists courage to put their imaginations onto paper or onto a canvas... whatever the medium the artist must first put it down. In the context of words it is difficult because what I write and want to say may not be what you the reader actually reads. I think that we've discussed that before. I imagine that all of the arts are like that. An artist attempts to put their imagination into a tangible medium that others can enjoy and they are trying to get a specific something across, but they are not alwasy successful. It's like a proud child showing their parents a masterpiece and the first thing out of the parents mouth is 'what is it'. That is terribly damaging to their artistic savy. (If you are a parent and you are in that situation try 'can you explain what you were thinking when you did this?')

Back to our epic story, as you might recall I have been reviewing The World Gambit. I wanted to pitch it as a long story to DAW books. But they only take books that are 150 thousand words or better. I thought I could combine my four book saga and come up with something. But now I think that I went about it the wrong way. Each book should stand alone as it always has.

Remember how I told you that I think I rushed the first book to get to the end? Well I committed a horrible sin on my first book. I made it an intro to the other three instead of telling a stand alone story. I didnt give the characters enough meat and I let the story just ride along and I even bunched stuff together instead of pulling it out and letting it develope as a part of the story. In short I made a mess of it. But this week I have been re-writing the re-write. I'm hoping that when I'm done a complete story will emerge.

So far I have written two new chapters about characters that I let lag. I need to develope them expecially if they are the center of the story. I cant believe that I had not seen it before. They were not intended to be the center of the story but they really are and they should be. I was trying to force  someone else into the center and it wasnt working. It couldnt work.

Book Agents will tell you that if you plan on writing in a genre then read that genre. I have given the same advice but for some reason on this book I did not take it. So I am going back to the drawing board and I am going to pattern The World Gambit after Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series. I will move the story along by focussing a chapter or three on a set of characters and what they are doing and then move to the viewpoints of other characters in subsequent chapters, thereby leapfrogging characters with chapters. It is harder than it sounds. I think that I might ask an author that does this regularly for some advice. Any suggestions on who I should contact?

Okay, gotta go my stomach is complaining. Be good to each other.

11 Comments to Re-writing a re-write is not that easy:

Comments RSS
china guided tours 2013 on Thursday, May 16, 2013 2:22 AM
Hello this is kind of of off topic but I was wanting to know if blogs use WYSIWYG editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I'm starting a blog soon but have no coding skills so I wanted to get guidance from someone with experience. Any help would be enormously appreciated!
Reply to comment

Teresa on Thursday, May 16, 2013 1:45 PM
I'm not sure what those letters mean but I do my own editing and my web host does everything else. Don't get me wrong, I can add more but I don't see a need for it... yet. The best advice I can give you is to look around at other blogs and see what you like as far as style and then use the same company. I use Vista print for my website and blog.
Reply to comment

Book Publishers on Monday, May 20, 2013 9:59 PM
I just couldn't depart your site before suggesting that I actually enjoyed the standard information a person provide for your visitors. I'm gonna be back often in order to check up on new posts
Reply to comment

Teresa on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 8:11 AM
Thank you for the compliment! It's always nice to get one of those. Please stop by anytime!

batemanbeijingaxis on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 6:15 PM
wonderful post, very informative. I wonder why the other specialists of this sector don't understand this. You should continue your writing. I'm confident, you have a huge readers' base already!
Reply to comment

Teresa on Tuesday, May 21, 2013 7:19 PM
Thank you for the compliment. I don't have a huge number of readers yet but my fans are growing and this makes me happy. So glad you take the time to read my blog and check out my pages. Thank you again.

foot massager homedics on Wednesday, July 24, 2013 6:03 AM
Thanks for the article, how can I make is so that I receive an email sent to me whenever you write a new post?
Reply to comment

Teresa on Friday, July 26, 2013 6:49 PM
Yes, I have to make some adjustments but, I can make the email thing available. Thanks for reading.

trendy costume jewelry on Thursday, August 15, 2013 10:27 PM
I do believe all the ideas you've offered for your post. They're very convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for beginners. Could you please lengthen them a little from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.
Reply to comment

ray ban cats on Wednesday, August 06, 2014 11:15 PM
Somebody essentially help to make seriously posts I would state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I surprised with the research you made to make this particular publish amazing. Excellent job!
Reply to comment

ray ban 8301 on Tuesday, January 13, 2015 6:23 AM
you are really a good webmaster. The website loading speed is amazing. It seems that you're doing any unique trick. Also, The contents are masterwork. you've done a magnificent job on this topic!
Reply to comment